The first public library in Albertville was started in a room where the Masonic Lodge stored coal in 1939. A handful of books and a part-time librarian were provided by the National Youth Administration. Local citizens and a bookmobile supplemented the venture, but the little library closed in 1943, due in part to World War II. Judge Mack Kilcrease stored the books, and in 1953 Albertville citizens, the Jaycees, and the Junior Chamber of Commerce became interested in opening a library. The city granted permission for the use of a small room on the second floor of the old City Hall and gave $15 per month to apply toward the salary of the librarian, Mrs. Gladys Brannon.
In 1957 the library took over almost the entire second floor above the City Hall. Still growing in the following years, a new library was constructed at 200 Jackson Street in 1963 and opened for the public in 1964. Mrs. Brannon resigned as librarian in March of 1963 and Mrs. Mona Fricks was named as her successor. The library experienced expansion with the construction of a new Conference Room, the Winston Walker, Jr. Civil War Collection and Rare Book Room and the Emily G. Rudolph Addition, dedicated on July 21, 1980.
In 1994, Mrs. Fricks retired and Mrs. Lisa Rowell was named librarian. Later that year, the library automated its holdings, approximately 80,000, and received a gift from the estate of O.H. and Bob Finney. These funds were used as the impetus to construct a Children's Section on the second floor and install an elevator. The second floor is approximately 3,000 square feet and features three window seat reading areas for the children.
In 2014, an Albertville citizen donated funds to build a custom oak circulation desk with granite countertops. In 2015 the same donor donated funds to purchase a 10’ projection screen, projector, and professional sound equipment to use in the library’s meeting room.
There is a vast collection of DVDs, Books on CD, and music CDs in addition to the traditional books for loan. Six staff members are available to assist the more than 28,000 patrons that utilize the library and its collection. Wi-Fi and internet access computers are also available for the public’s use.